Saturday, October 22, 2011

NFL 2011 Week 7 Picks


2011 Week 7 Picks

Last Week's Record (9-4)
Overall Record (58-31)


     There were several surprises last week.  I lost a few games that I thought were definite wins, and I won some that I was not real confident in my picks, and to be honest, that is what has kept me very interested in making my picks every week!  The weeks just keep getting more and more interesting.  Last week, I truly thought that the Colts would put another win together against the Bengals, but it just didn't happen.  Then, the Buccaneers proved that they are a better team than I gave them credit for and upset the Saints.   And lastly, Tom Brady and the Patriots showed once again why they are always the team to beat in the AFC, and no matter how "lucky" some people thought the Cowboys may be last week, Tom Brady showed that you need much more than "luck" on your side to beat the Patriots at home.  (You're welcome Matt!)
     Looking at week 7, there is not a marquee matchup that just jumps out to me as a Game of the Week, but there are several matchups that I can definitely be interested in for several various reasons.   This week, I am excited to see if the Detroit Lions can bounce back from an emotional loss last week to the 49ers.  The Broncos have handed their starting quarterback position to Tim Tebow, as they travel to Miami this week.  At that game, the Dolphins will be honoring the University of Florida national championship team from a couple of years ago.  Convenient timing.   I am picking an upset this week in the Panthers vs Redskins game.   I think this will be the game that Cam Newton really comes up big.  And for what it is worth, you've got the football version of the World Series happening this week.  This Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, the St. Louis Cardinals are in Dallas facing the Texas Rangers in the World Series, and on Sunday, the the St. Louis Rams are in Dallas to face the Dallas Cowboys.  Not an overly exciting football matchup, but just something I found interesting on this week's schedule.  Well, here's is how I've picked 'em:



Atlanta Falcons @ Detroit Lions
Lions - L

Seattle Seahawks @ Cleveland Browns
Browns - W

Denver Broncos @ Miami Dolphins
Broncos - W

San Diego Chargers @ New York Jets
Chargers - L

Chicago Bears @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Buccaneers - L

Washington Redskins @ Carolina Panthers
Panthers - W

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Arizona Cardinals
Steelers - W

St. Louis Rams @ Dallas Cowboys
Cowboys - W

Green Bay Packers @ Minnesota Vikings
Packers - W

Indianapolis Colts @ New Orleans Saints
Saints - W

Baltimore Ravens @ Jacksonville Jaguars
Ravens - L


Game of the Week:
Kansas City Chiefs @ Oakland Raiders
Raiders - L


     With Jason Campbell suffering a season ending injury last week, the Raiders went out and traded two draft picks to acquire former Bengals quarterback, Carson Palmer.   Palmer had seen the end of his time in Cincinnati, but the owner there had refused to trade him, even after drafting Andy Dalton from TCU.  But, when the Raiders were put in a desperate situation, they offered a first round draft pick from this year, and a conditional pick from next year that will likely be another first round pick.  From what I understand, the Raiders now only have two or three draft picks left for this year's draft, and no pick earlier than the third round.  This shows how desperate this team is to win now rather than later.  
       There was a report earlier this week that said the Raiders wanted Palmer to step directly into the starting position this week.  In my opinion, he should, and even with the little practice time that he will have to learn a new system, I think he will be an immediate upgrade from Campbell.  I don't think there will be too much pressure on Palmer since the Raiders have clearly been more of a running team than a passing team this year.  They've got the 2nd ranked rushing offense in the NFL, and the 24th ranked passing offense, although this is eerily similar to the Chiefs who rank 6th in rushing offense and 29th in passing offense.  But, the Raiders have a slightly better defense according to the rankings, and I just think that with all of these things combined, and the game being played in Oakland, the Raiders will come through with the win.  And watching Carson Palmer shake the rust off, could be interesting and worth watching!



Local Game of the Week:
Houston Texans @ Tennessee Titans
Texans - W


     A rivalry game for sole possession of first place in the AFC South! Pretty exciting, and especially considering all the tension that has built up between these two teams over the last couple of seasons.  There have been several fights, and there always seems to be a little bit of extra tension between these guys.  This ought to be an interesting meeting this year.  The Titans are still struggling to get their rushing offense going with Chris Johnson, but Matt Hasselbeck really has surprised many people with how productive he has been.  The Texans, on the other hand, are not living up to most people's high expectations.  In my opinion, it has been a strange season so far, but really they are right on pace for what I expected.  Looking at the beginning of the season, I anticipated the Texans to be (4-3) after 7 games one way or another.  With a win this Sunday, they'll be right there.  Granted, I anticipated that they'd beat the Raiders, and lose against the Steelers, but either way, they're right there.  But, the Texans are always so frustrating, because of the ways they manage to lose.  Last week was so frustrating, because they could have come out with a win, but again, when it came time to make a big play on either side of the football, it just didn't happen.  Just like the New Orleans game.  
     I think the Texans will live up to the challenge tomorrow and come back to Houston with a win, and as I looked at the schedule in August, I thought this game would be a big game and represent a huge turning point in the season.  I haven't been too frustrated yet, but if they lose, I think things could possibly snow ball out of control for these guys.  And if Matt Schaub continues to look as bad as he has in crunch time, I think it is about time to start looking at a new quarterback.  
     Just for good measure, and to wet your appetite, here's why I am so excited!!  I know Andre Johnson is still out with an injury, but if were up to me, I'd just put him in for one play and let him do this again!





-----------------------------------------------------------------

This Week's Record (8-5)



1 comment:

  1. OKAY 1ST..My boys last week i knew would blow it especially after running it three times in a row and not getting more then 6 yards and relying on a relatively young defense to stop the best closer in the game. After the punt I just kept thinking about the shot you made from across the room might carry them through but still fluke beer game shots still does not out perform Brady. I like your pics this week. But there are a few I disagree with and HERE THEY ARE!!!

    Miami will beat the Broncos it is time for Brandon Marshall to step up and with the complete confusion of Tebow and Orton. I dont think they are ready for this match up. The Dolphins have the worst rush pass defense in the league which scares me but they have a better team then Denver especially after the Brandon Loyd trade. The Broncos look like they are going for the suck for luck competition. MIAMI BY 3+


    BEARS VS BUCS will also be a close game but I think the bears have this. They showed they can kill it on the defense side and as long as forte stays healthy they will be able to score at will. They need to keep Cutler off the ground He has the most sacks out of any quaterback in the NFL which does scare me picking the Bears but, they will be able to pull this one out. Even though the bucs have these quick young recievers on the outside (wallace and i forget the other) so the bears and urlacher will have to be prepared to play zone and put pressure on Freeman in order to win this game but i think they can Bears by 5 at least.

    NIce pics Luke. I got a feeling that the Texans might get beat as well if Johnson is healthy but I would bet the Texans if I was betting.

    My brother is putting 800 dollars on the cowboys spread which is 12 and a half. if he wins he gets 1900..but that means the cowboys gotta win by 12 i think they can..they have been close in every game they've played.

    ReplyDelete