Friday, June 17, 2011

An Exciting Weekend Ahead!

This weekend is one that I, like the rest of my family, have been looking forward to for a long time!!  We are in Giddings, TX this weekend for my cousin Justin's wedding.  I'm extremely excited because this event is allowing me to get some quality time with both of my brothers!  Danny flew in from New York on Thursday night, and Toby and his wife, Kristin, met us in Giddings today.  I love these times that we can all be together because it typically only happens about twice a year. . .Three times in a year if we're lucky.  Unfortunately, Danny's wife, Kathleen, was unable to make the trip because she is doing a show right now in Connecticut.  She got a fantastic review from a very important critic last week, and I wish like crazy that we could take a trip up there to see it.

Where Have You Been?
Since my most recent blog post, a lot has happened.  My first year of teaching came to a successful end, although I was asked to move to another school in our district.  The school district that I work in added a new middle school this year so some of the other schools had to adjust their boundaries.  For Goodson (where I was), this meant a huge drop off in the number of students, so it meant that the choir department would have to go back to only having one choir director.  I was then asked to move to Smith Middle School.  It seems like it is going to be a great fit for me.  The choir program is really great, the campus is almost brand new, and I really got along well with the head choir director that is there in my interview!  So, as much as I hate to leave Goodson, I think that I am being sent to a place that I can be successful!

Well, with the end of my first school year.  Things will not be slowing down for me at all.  During the days right now, I am lucky enough to be playing the piano for the music theatre summer camps at TUTS!  This is my third year to be a part of this program, and I love every minute of it. . . Especially because I'm paid by the hour! ;)   The kids there are really fantastic, and they really do love being there!  That by itself makes for a very different atmosphere than the public school job.  

At night right now, I am currently rehearsing for my third production of Smokey Joe's Cafe!  This cast is just unbelievable!  When I heard that Texas Rep would be doing this show and that they wanted me to be their music director, I immediately started questioning if we would really be able to get the talent level we needed to really make the show exciting. Well, I can tell you. . .  We were!  Our music rehearsals went very well!  Now that we are in to staging/choreography rehearsals, the music isn't quite as sharp as it was, but that is to be expected with such a dance heavy show.  It is always a battle to keep the music tight and exciting when the singers are now asked to dance and make their movements sharp and exciting as well.  But, this is one of those shows that I simply will not relax with.  I am terribly passionate about this score, and I know exactly how I want it to sound.  Because of what I heard in my music rehearsals, I know this cast can give me the sound I want while just standing and singing.  Now, we have a battle to fight as they start moving around the stage!

I'll Be Back Soon!
Well, I promise it won't take so long for my next post.  I've got an exciting weekend ahead of me, and I can't wait to tell you all about it!!

Peace Out,
Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment