Sunday, June 26, 2011

Smokey Joe's Cafe - Tech Week!

Right now, I'm sitting in the seats at Texas Repertory Theatre after our first of two runthroughs of the our upcoming production of Smokey Joe's Cafe.  After a fast and furious rehearsal process, the show has finally started coming together.  On Friday night, we had our sitzprobe, which is the first time the band and singers all get to work together.  This always happens to be my favorite rehearsal for any show that I do.  It always seems like the energy of a production always seems to really ramp up after the sitzprobe, which is also why I always like to wait until the last possible moment to schedule it.  At Texas Rep, this usually happens somewhere between the last Friday or Saturday before opening.  It is always so exciting for me the first time the cast hears the band play.  Through all the shows that I've done, I've always prided myself on the quality of the bands that I put together.  I enjoy working with a cast and teaching them the notes and making a cast really sound great, but when it comes down to it, I always insist that I have the best possible orchestra, and once again, I think I've got the right group of guys together!

The sitzprobe the other night was just incredible!!! I don't think I've ever been this excited for my friends and family to hear a show that I've done.  That's not to say that it is perfect right now, but I think that we are in a very good position as we still have 4 days until our opening night.  I hope you will all be able to make it out to see the show!!  Texas Repertory Theatre is up on the northwest side of Houston (on Steubner-Airline and FM 1960).   It is a great place to see a show, so please come out.  I think you'll all enjoy it!!

I'll keep you all posted with the reviews as they start coming out after opening night!

Peace Out,
Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment