Tuesday, February 15, 2011

2011 Astros: A Horror Film in the Making

So, it's a strange title, but I promise you'll understand in a short while.

I've been in a "scary movie" type of mood lately.  I don't really know where it came from, but what you need to know, is that last night I was compelled to watch the movie Paranormal Activity 2 before going to bed.  Not too bad of a movie. . . a lot like Blair Witch Project.  It's filmed with the intent of making it feel like a home video off of someone's camcorder.  Admittedly, it has got some genuinely scary moments in it that really had me going at times, and I usually don't scare too easily with movies.  I think it creeped me out a bit more than most movies because the story sort of centers around a very young boy who is just learning to walk and talk and all those baby things.  Of course this got me worked up more than usual because I just kept picturing Carter in some of this babies situations.

This movie is definitely one of those show that has a lot of things sort of jumping out at you, or happening very quickly with the purpose of startling you. So, as you watch a fairly calm scene, you can't help but having this sense of "Something REALLY terrible is about to happen."  And this is where my two worlds collided as I laid in bed last night watching.

Karren Warren of the Houston Chronicle
All of the sudden I remembered that the Astros spring training sort of started yesterday.  Well, it didn't really "start", but the pitchers and catchers reported to the spring training facility in Kissimmee, Florida yesterday to start getting ready for the season.  I know this is going to seem silly, but I realized last night that the way I felt during the calm scenes in this movie, was not too far off from my feelings about the coming Astros season.  Things are very calm right now, but you just know, "Something REALLY terrible is about to happen!"

The biggest acquisitions the Astros franchisemade this year was a veteran infielder, Bill Hall, and two new LED video screens at Minute Maid Park.  To be honest, it's hard to pick which one to be more excited about!  Hall is a guy who usually has anywhere from 8-18 homeruns, but his batting average is usually right around the Mendoza Line.  Although 8 homeruns in a season feels like it would be a huge improvement from what we've had over the last 3 years, I'm still not terribly excited about the signing.  This signing feels like one of those moves that Houston teams seem to be very good at.  Houston franchises always seem to say, "Hey, at one point in his career, this guy was a great player.  Yes, that was five years ago, but let's just see if our good ol' Houston fans can rejuvenate him."  (Note: Preston Wilson, Tracy McGrady, Ahman Green.)  None of these stories worked out, so why would Bill Hall?  In 2006, Hall erupted for career highs in homeruns (35) and RBI (85) with the Milwaukee Brewers.  Since then, he has not done just a whole lot. 

By the way, because of the two new LED screens at the ball park, Astros tickets prices went up again! (link) That way, when the Astros are getting embarrassed on the field, you can look up and watch the old Astrodome videos on a shiny new LED screen and remember why you were willing to pay a couple extra bucks to watch mediocre baseball!

So, I know that we are in the middle of February, and the baseball season is very long, but let me give you a fair warning, go ahead and shield your eyes now.   Just like in all those scary movies, there is soft, creepy music playing. . . But it is drowned out by the sound of catcher's mits popping in central Florida. I can't bare to watch.  Let me know when the scary part is over!

1 comment:

  1. I love your optimism! Mayben the 'stros are looking to position themselves for Pujols in 2012? He would look great on those new LEDs.

    ReplyDelete