Thursday, March 17, 2011

Opening Weekend!



Tonight is the big night!  After three weeks of rehearsals and a busy tech week, we will finally get the chance to measure the work that we've done by having an audience in the house!  Tonight is considered to be our "Preview" show, so it's not technically our opening, so we've got one more run through to try to finally get things solidified before our opening night.  But, even though we've got another night to try and really get comfortable with some things, there will be a couple of people in the audience that will publish their thoughts on our show as a review.  So that definitely puts a bit of extra pressure on us to do our best.

It's been a pretty crazy rehearsal process for all of us.  As I mentioned in one of my earlier blogs, we've had to deal with three different books when trying to put the music together for this show.  Even in our run through last night, I still made a mistake in a crucial point in the show simply because I had taken notes on how the section was supposed to be played in one of the other books that I've been going back-and-forth to.  Of course that's irritating for myself, but also our cast members who have been more than patient and understanding with me as we all try to get our stuff together.  They understand the situation because these books also have different lyrics, harmonies, and arrangements between them.  So, sometimes when we're going through a number, one of the cast members may be singing lyrics from book one and harmonies from book two, all while I'm playing the arrangement from book three!  Get it?

But through all of this confusion, I feel like we've managed to put up a pretty good show!!  The cast has worked EXTREMELY hard.  Shondra and I both had very bad colds at the end of last week and into "tech weekend", Steve has about a thousand costume changes that all happen very quickly.  He has done a fantastic job of memorizing everyone of them.  i.e.- Which side of the stage to go out on; Which shoes to wear;  What shirt/coat to wear.  He has to remember all of these things while also remembering to listen to the music that I am playing to hear where we are in the music for cues of his.  I tell him every night that I don't envy him for having to do all of these things.  Last time I was in the cast of a show, I couldn't memorize six lines and two blocking ideas.  Forget me trying to do all that he does!!

Well, if you're reading this after coming to our show, or you're sitting in the theatre waiting for the show to start, I hope you enjoy it, especially after getting an inside scoop from the music director.  If you have not yet come to see the show, I hope you will.  It's a great way to spend an evening being entertained, and it is at a great theatre.  Feel free to leave any comments on this page about what you think of the show, and/or if I can expect to look for you at any of our performances!  Thanks for reading!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
Peace Out,
Luke


P.S. - A HUGE congratulations to Caleb and Brynne Choate for their new baby girl, Gracie Lynn!  Very happy for you guys, and I can't wait to meet her!

No comments:

Post a Comment