Thursday, March 3, 2011

"Take Your Desire to Win and Get Out of Here!"


I'm sure that Bob McNair, owner of the Houston Texans, did not tell Bernard Pollard to "Take your desire to win and get out of here," but it sure feels like that's what he meant.  On Tuesday, Pollard was released from the Texans after his first full season with the team.  A year in which the Texans finished (6-10), and never seemed to really care about it.  I would imagine that on a team like the Texans, it would be very easy to not care about a having a terrible record in a season that so much was expected by the fans and the media. They have never had better than a (9-7) record and they've never made the playoffs. Head coach Gary Kubiak never puts the blame on any of his players when it is clear to everyone else that our secondary is terrible.  How many games have ended with Kubiak saying in his press conference, "This one's on me."  

No, Gary, it's not "on you" that Kareem Jackson can't cover anyone.  No, Gary, it's not "on you" that Sage Rosenfels wants to be Superman.  And No, Gary, it's not "on you" that Kris Brown wanted so badly to be a football version of Brad Lidge. 

Many experienced football analysts expected the Texans to make the playoffs in 2010.  One journalist was crazy enough to predict that the Texans would beat the Cowboys in Super Bowl 45 in Dallas this last February.  But, after Cushing was suspended for the first four games, and DeMeco Ryans and Ben Tate both went down with injuries for the entire season, all of the desire to win for the Texans went down the drain as well.

Thank God for Bernard Pollard!  Every game, this guy would be flying around the field trying to take wide receivers head's off.  I can't get to the stats right now, but I believe that I read earlier somewhere that over the last two seasons, he has the 2nd most tackles of any player who is not a linebacker.  Pretty impressive if you ask me.  Towards the end of the season last year, the only reason I didn't change the channel when the defense was on the field was to see Bernard Pollard lay someone out, get in their face, and get caught saying some things that can't be said on tv.  (i.e.- Bernard Pollard vs. Reggie Wayne, Sept. 14, 2010)

No one else on the field this last season ever seemed to have the same passion for winning that Pollard did.  The only argument for judging someone else's passion for winning this season, would be Andre Johnson.  Just ask Cortland Finegan if he thinks AJ is passionate about winning!



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Page!

If you notice at the top of this page, I've added another page to my blog.  This page, called Reviews, is not meant to toot my own horn, or be there for me to stare at and feel better about myself.  The reason I have added this page is that in two weeks, I've got a show opening, and in my bio I have listed my blog address.  So, I figure that there may be the slight possibility that someone from the Houston theatre community may happen to be at the show one night and think about hiring me for a show they have coming up.  By putting my blog information in the program, I've given them another way to learn more about me, find my contact information, see a list of some things that have been said about my work, and even see a more detailed list of all the shows that I've played.  (My 'Show List' page will be coming soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment