Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Getting Ready for the 2012 Football Season!!

As many of you know, I am total video game nerd.  I play far more video games than a 27 year old guy probably ought to.  With that said, I spent quite a bit of time yesterday watching coverage of the E3 Expo that is going on in L.A. this week.  One of the big events of the day was a key note speech by the people at EA Sports who produce the NCAA Football series and the famous, Madden NFL series.  Believe it or not, I get so excited about the release of these games that if feels like Christmas when I put these games in the XBox for the first time every year!

As I watched the speech yesterday on tv where the designers of both of these games talked about all the new features of this years games, I realized how close we are to football starting back up already.  I know it doesn't feel like it, but before you know it, the summer will be ending, and we'll be watching preseason NFL games!!  All of the sudden, I also got really excited about making my picks again this year!! 

If you followed my blog through last football season, I went through every NFL game each week and tried to pick who I thought would win based purely on a "feeling". (I have to admit I missed the first game of the season, so that is the only game I didn't pick)  I did my best not to pay attention to any Vegas odds and/or expert analysis. Now, that may sound a bit crazy, but making picks based on how I felt about the teams that were competing all the way through the Super Bowl, my overall record ended up being 180 wins to 86 losses!  I was pretty proud of that!!

Now, looking at the NFL season ahead and the response that I got from several of my friends who are football fans, I'd really like to change the way I did things and get some of my friends involved!!  I had so much fun talking with my friends every week who had read my picks and disagreed.  But those conversations always ended with me asking my friends to join me and make picks with me.  Well, this is your opportunity to challenge me with your own picks!!!   I'd love to get some sort of prize for whoever ends with the best win/loss record, but to do that, I feel like we'd need to do a "buy-in", and that can get kind of scary with money being involved and having to deal with all that.  But, if I get enough people involved and committed to submitting their picks every week, I would be up for buying a gift card to Best Buy or something small for the winner.  I'd be willing to do that if I got maybe 8 to 10 people making picks with me. 

If you'd like to see the format that I had last year, check out my week 2 picks from last year.  My week 1 was more of my general excitement for the start of the season as opposed to just making picks.  If I get some people making picks with me this year, I would publish everyone's picks before the first game of the week each week so everyone would know where they stand.  Also, I'd keep track of everyone's wins and losses.  I know this sounds like a ton of work for something that I just started doing for fun last year, but I think it would really be a blast to get other "pickers" involved!!!  

Here's what it might look like for each game:

Houston Texans @ Tennessee Titans
Picks:  Luke - Texans,     Bob - Texans,    Jim - Titans,    Mel - Titans,     Tim - Texans

So, I'd really love to get some of you guys involved and committed to submitting picks for every game with me!!  This may feel very early to start thing about this, but, I am wanting to get the general layout for every week of NFL picks set up this summer while I've got a little time to do that.    

Now it is on you.   Let me know if you'd like to make picks with me this year, and I'll go ahead and put you into the layout of my blog for the NFL season.  Remember, if I get 8-10 pickers, I'll commit to buying a Best Buy gift card or something at the end of the season for the winner!!!  If this really goes nuts and we get more than 12 pickers or so, we'll do like a $5 "donation" for me putting the time in to run all of this, and for the gift card at the end.   

Send me a Facebook message, comment on this blog, or e-mail me at LRKirkwood06@aol.com to let me know if you'd like to go for it, and you'll be in!!  

Peace Out,
Luke



No comments:

Post a Comment