Saturday, June 2, 2012

New Year, New School. . . Again.

Well, on day two of my month where I am intending to write a blog everyday, I feel like my body is shutting down knowing that I am done with another school year.  I am sure that there are several other teachers who's bodies do the same thing.  We've been working so hard to get our job done, then our bodies just know that the first two days of summer would be a great time to stop working correctly!  Not to mention that Blythe has still been at work yesterday and today (yes, on a Saturday) and I have been in charge of keeping Carter happy, fed, and safe.  Being with my little boy is a blast, and I am so thankful for the time we are getting together, but it is a TON of work!!!

Speaking of the school year. . .  What a GREAT year it was!!!  This year, I worked as the assistant choir director at Smith Middle School with Megan Weinel who is the head director there.  Our choirs did an amazing job.   Through all of our contests this year, we were given the highest possible rating by every judge who heard us sing.  From our formal UIL competition, to a competition is San Antonio for our Varsity Treble Choir, and to the Cy-Fair Sixth Grade Festival.   Twenty-four judges, twenty-four "Superior" ratings and several trophies!!  I was mainly in charge of the Tenor-Bass Choir, and I am so proud of how far the progressed within one school year.  I started with a group of boys, and ended up with a group of very talented, young men!

However, I will not be back at Smith next year.   It really does hurt to leave, but I was offered a job that I felt was too good to pass up.  Next year, I will be working at Cy-Fair High School as one of two assistant choir directors under the head director, Jed Ragsdale.  I met Jed when I accompanied the Tenor-Bass Region Clinic back in November.  He was the clinician and conductor for the choir that weekend.  We worked very well together, and we totally got along, so I believe that connection is the reason why he called me in for an interview when that new position opened up.   I am very, very excited about this new challenge, but right now, it does feel a bit daunting.  I will be in charge of leading the Concert Men's Choir, which is mostly freshmen and sophomores boys, as well as teaching AP Music Theory.  That sounds kind of scary, but the rest of my day, I will be assisting Mr. Ragsdale and the other assistant, Hallie Reed.   This is a fantastic team who has been running a high quality choir program over the last several years.

It is very exciting, and hopefully, this will be my last move for a while.   There was definitely some tossing at turning at night, and some headaches during the day before finally making the decision to make this move, especially when there was another job in the mix in a district that I have ALWAYS wanted to teach in.  I will let you all know the details of that job in another post after everything with that job has been finalized, and they have found someone else for the position.  It hurt just as much to turn that job down, but I strongly believe that I will be happy at Cy-Fair HS.

Come back and read tomorrow!!

Peace Out,
Luke






No comments:

Post a Comment