Sunday, June 10, 2012

One of My Favorite Nights of the Year - The Tony Awards!

Over the last couple of years, I've gotten increasingly excited about a Sunday night in early June every year that celebrates the past year's best actors, actresses, plays, musicals, and everything that is great about theatre!

I've been a fan of theatre for as long as I can remember.  Growing up, my mom would always take me and my brothers, along with some of our cousins, to see children's shows at the University of Houston.  After the shows, I got such a kick out of being able to go up and meet the cast members of the show, still in costume.  Of course, as a kid, those performers seemed like giants to me!  Now, after working in the theatre on over 65 different productions, I now know how miserable these actors must have been greeting the audience in the lobby after the show.   I guess I am jaded now.   :)  

Looking back, I still remember the first professional musical I saw.  My parents took me to see Cats at Jones Hall in Houston.  I remember exactly where we sat, and I remember looking at the set before the show (they kept the curtain on), and thinking I saw actual cats walking around on the stage before the show.  I clearly had no idea what was about to happen on the stage.  As much as everyone talks about how trippy that show is to watch, and how "terrible" they think the music is, I have always loved the music.  Granted, I really have no desire to see any production of Cats now.  I'd rather just listen to the soundtrack.  Yes, I just admitted that I might sometimes listen of Cats.

Still looking back, one of my favorite memories based around music theatre is all of the soundtracks that I grew to love while riding around with my parents on our way to school, church, or baseball practice.  Two of my clearest memories are listening to the RENT soundtrack with my dad after a baseball game that I had hit my first homerun.  I don't know why, but I remember getting in the car after this game and having a conversation about the song "One Song, Glory" on our way home.  My other memory of listening to soundtracks growing up was while we were driving around as an entire family looking at houses in this crazy fancy neighborhood, and my dad turned on the The Who's Tommy soundtrack which is still one of my all-time favorite musicals.  I still listen to this same soundtrack on a regular basis.  Of course, it doesn't hurt that I finally got a chance to do the show two years ago!

Well, I don't know why my last few blogs have been so sappy and sentimental.  I'll try to snap out of that routine.    :)     I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that as Blythe and I get ready to welcome baby number two to the world, I find myself appreciating my parents more and more everyday.   Of all the things I have thanked them for, I always need to thank them for showing me the world of musical theatre and not only ALLOWING me to pursue that passion of mine, but ENCOURAGING it!!  They are so supportive, and still come to at least one performance of everything I do. . . Sometimes, several performances!!

Peace Out,
Luke



No comments:

Post a Comment